[Samba] Powerpoint 2007 not advancing slides

Ian CLANCY ian.clancy at valeo.com
Wed Oct 16 05:09:47 MDT 2013

Hi Kevin,
Microsoft Office interaction with networked file systems can be a strange
beast .
I would suggest :
1.) Test with a newer version of Samba . 3.6.7 is quite old at this stage.
You could create a a test OpenSuse 12.2 x86_64 server and install the
3.6.19 packages from Sernet http://enterprisesamba.com/ and then check if
you still have the same problem.
2.) Testing with a Windows 7 workstation . Win 7 will use SMB2 if your
samba is configured to support it. This will help isolate if the issue is
with SMB1 (NT1) .
3.) Get down and dirty with Wireshark. Compare the difference between using
Powerpoint 2003 and Powerpoint 2007 . You may not understand all the
traffic passing between the client and the server but you may get a better
idea as to what is failing and subsequently a more detailed error message
to send to the Samba devels :).

Rgds
Ian Clancy