[Samba] Folder disappears on rename
samba-ml1 at martinconsulting.com
Thu Oct 3 12:57:21 MDT 2013
I have Samba 4.0.9 installed under Ubuntu 12.04. It's configured as a
domain member, with a Windows 2008R2 server being the DC. All
workstations are running Windows 7. One of my users is reporting
problems in the following scenario:
1) She creates a folder in one of the Samba shares, and places a number
of documents there.
2) She closes all open documents and closes Windows Explorer
3) Another user on another workstation subsequently renames the folder
as part of the work flow process to indicate it has been reviewed.
4) The original user then navigates to where the renamed folder should
be and cannot find it, either under the original name or the new name.
Refreshing doesn't help.
5) After a period of time, typically 3-5 minutes but in one case around
30 minutes, the folder reappears under the new name.
The window of time between steps 2 and 4 is typically fairly small, as
in an hour or less. The problem is intermittent. In the 30-minute case
I was able to get on to my own Win7 workstation and look at the network
share, and I saw the folder under the new name. I then checked with the
user and she reported she still couldn't see it after a refresh, though
it appeared shortly (minutes) thereafter.
As diagnostic steps, I've asked the user to try a) logging off; b)
rebooting; but we don't have results of those tests yet.
I considered that this might be related to bug 10174
<https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10174>, but the original
user is making sure she doesn't have any files or folders open before
the rename occurs.
1) Is this a known issue?
2) Is anyone else experiencing this?
3) Does anyone have any fixes or workarounds?
Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
More information about the samba