[Samba] Bulk smbcacls calls

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Fri Nov 29 03:05:10 MST 2013

Hi,
On 28/11/13 17:56, David Disseldorp wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 15:00:18 +0000
> Peter Flood <info at whywouldwe.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Failing that, I assume that much of the time taken is spent on
>> authenticating the user/pw for each request. Would it be possible to
>> write something that keeps the connection so that multiple requests can
>> be made without reauthenticating (I'm not familiar with how
>> LDAP/AD/Samba works)? I have looked at the source of smbcacls but
>> nothing jumped out at me.
> Noel (cc'ed) just finished a bunch of changes adding inheritance
> propagation to smbcacls:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~noelp/noelp-samba/log/?h=smbcalcs-inherit-v2
>
> It doesn't do recursion on --get, but the new code could certainly be
> leveraged to add this feature.
Yes unfortunately support for '--get' in a recursive fashion isn't
currently supported, it didn't quite fit with the inheritance
propagation feature, but... David is correct in that the new code could
definitely be leveraged to do that. However something like what you
require I believe needs another new cmdline switch e.g. something -like
maybe "-r|-recursive" [1]. Also I wonder how the output of smbcacls
should look for such an operation as the existing output doesn't
actually mention the file/dir that is being processed.

Noel

[1] in general I do believe a pure recursive option could be useful ( at
least for --get, --chown, --chgrp )