[Samba] How to keep idmapping, when Samba servers becomes part of a Windows AD from a larger organisation.

Hubert, Laurent Laurent.Hubert at USherbrooke.ca
Tue Nov 26 10:53:53 MST 2013

Hi

Since 2006, I used in my departement a Samba  solutions based on  NT4 style PDC, 2 BDCs and some files servers, desserving one hunderd persons. The backends for passwords and idd are a master and two slave openldap. Now i have to integrate a much larger organisation, an  University Hospital,   running with Windows AD. For political reasons, I should not maintain DCs anymore, but I will still maintain  Windows stations, Linux stations and Linux servers.  One point then is to see if  there is a way to keep the idmapping of users and groups I already have, in order to reduced interventions on file servers and stations to a minimum while migrating. For now, I dont know how to do it.  (Note : new users and groups may  have any Linux « id » we want)

One point here  is that  I succeeded to test the integration of  a samba member into the AD with  samba 4.x,  winbind and idmap config DOMAIN : backend = rid.  Now I want to go further and look for  a solution for this problem of keeping  idmaps of current users.   Is it possible to have a coherent configuration together for  /etc/ldap.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf  and /etc/samba/smb.conf for this solution?

Thanks to help
and warm thanks for Samba
Laurent

--