[Samba] Samba internal DNS strange behavior to ssh client lookup request

Werthmuller, Derek dwerthmu at ctg.albany.edu
Fri Nov 22 08:13:43 MST 2013

Answers to my own question.

Understand why this behaves this way.  No its not a bug in samba internal DNS.  I believe its how the resolver libraries work in the ssh client (ssh client didn't chek multiple nameserver resources).  It also points out a bit how the Samba AD DNS setup works.
1) my incorrect assumption was that the DNS forwarder address, found in smb.conf, would be used for any address space the AD DNS was not authority for and if it didn't have an entry for a system within its authority space.   The last part about forwarding to another DNS server if the internal AD DNS doesn't have an entry for it doesn't work, and appears to be by design.
2) My plan was to use the samba DNS only for sort of the windows network, and leave webservers and such to the other already existing DNS server.  This case only works if the client resolver will check multiple DNS resources if the first( being the AD DNS) fails.  Nslookup resolver does check multiple DNS resources often found in /etc/resolv.conf.  Samab AD documentation states to place the AD address in the first  nameserver entry for the resolv.conf.
3) my new plan is to place more hosts in the samba AD  DNS than originally anticipated.  I've seen posts suggesting creating a separate DNS domain for AD so that you don't have to pull all DNS in the AD for a given domain/subnet.  Not sure if this is a good idea - it seems that if a host have multiple roles and would be found in both DNS server than the clients resolvers and cache could become confused.

Cheers
   Derek