[Samba] Installing SerNet Samba for Debian

samba1 at nym.hush.com samba1 at nym.hush.com
Wed Nov 20 07:29:14 MST 2013

I've got myself in a bit of a pickle trying to install the latest
Samba 3.6.20-31 package from SerNet on a Debian Wheezy server.  The
installed Debian version of Samba was 3.6.6.

It's an off-line test server, and I'm still getting to grips with
Debian, so no harm done, but I'd like to know the proper procedure
to install this software!

What I've done is:

Edited /etc/apt/sources.list to include the line

   deb http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/3.6/debian wheezy main

This was shown on the SerNet website, but I'm not sure if I need to
do anything to prevent Wheezy from downloading/installing the
Debian Samba in the future.

I downloaded all the .deb packages from SerNet and burnt them onto
a CD.

I then ran 'apt-get purge samba' (to try and remove the existing
Samba).

I started to run into problems when installing the SerNet
package(s) and have also run

  apt-get remove samba-common
plus numerous iterations of
   apt-get -f install
   apt-get autoremove

At one point it wanted to remove about 200 packages, including ones
for gnome and python.

I tried installing using:
  dpkg -i sernet-samba_3.6.20-31_amd64.deb
It then indicated it needed sernet-samba-common so I ran
  dpkg -i sernet-samba-common_3.6.20-31_amd64.deb
which gave warnings about dependencies.
I ended up trying to install all the sernet packages including the
ones for libwbclient, libsmbclient, libpam, winbind.  Is this
necessary?  I expected one of the packages to do a full install and
update/install all necessary packages.

Having now left it running for a few minutes I ran
 apt-get -f install
again, and it updated sernet Samba and I'm now able to run
smbstatus and it's showing '3.6.20-SerNet-Debian'.

However, I'm now not sure what state the system is in!  I can run a
disaster recovery to restore the system to a state before I started
the Samba upgrade, but as I say, I'd like to know the proper way to
do it!

Thanks