[Samba] Samba internal DNS strange behavior to ssh client lookup request

Werthmuller, Derek dwerthmu at ctg.albany.edu
Tue Nov 19 11:24:32 MST 2013

Running a new install of samba 4.1  AD, also using winbind to handle Linux user, group authorizing users.

I'm have problems with DNS lookups for ssh client don't work  nslookup on the same  AD and member system works fine.
For example: I can run nslookup example.com and it returns a valid answer right way.  If I try to ssh -l username example.com , ssh returns "ssh: Could not resolve hostname example.com : Name or service not known"

Samba is configured with dns forwarder = external DNS server.

Samba DNS tests work.
Such as host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.example.com
/etc/resolve.conf
Configured with nameserver of the DC as the top item in list.   If I move the DC nameserver entry lower in the list and place the external DNS at the top then ssh dns lookups work fine. (but then the samba lookups don't work properly)
Any Advice here?

Thanks
                Derek