[Samba] Samba 4 DC and member server, rfc3207, winbind, printing, asynchronous I/O - Problems and Fixes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 19 04:27:29 MST 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 09:38 +0100, Stéphane PURNELLE wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Could you explain why the Samba Team's recommend to use a member
> server for file and print server tasks ?
>
> Because I want to put in production one server as a DC with file and
> print server task.

There are a few reasons:
 - It allow a different upgrade cycle, allowing you to advance to new
versions of the AD DC or file server, without disrupting the other role
 - The DC is the critical central box in any organisation.  You should
have more than one DC, so it makes sense that they both be only a DC,
because other things (file/print) don't replicate in the same way.
 - Because things like that raised here are not entirely surprising.  We
glued together a lot of code to make the 4.0 release happen, and so we
are still finding corner cases.  Only last week I worked on a very odd
case around server aliases on the AD DC, due to the way the DC needs to
handle MSDFS.
 - The usual complaints about the winbind embedded in the AD DC - it
allows it not to be used for the file server.

Andrew Bartlett