[Samba] Implementing Samba 4 in multi site environment

Petros Petros.Listig at fdrive.com.au
Wed Nov 13 20:50:04 MST 2013

Quoting "Zhia Chandra" <zhia.chandra at gmail.com>

> i have plan to implement samba 4 in distribute / multisite environment, i
> have one head quarter office and aroung 20 site office, in my head quarter
> office i have not more than 50 PC client and in every site office i have no
> more than 10 PC client to manage. every site office connected to head
> quarter office by openvpn connection in route mode so every site office has
> different network. let say head quarters office network is
> 172.16.0.0/24and site office network are
> 172.16.1.0/24  until 172.16.99.20.0/24.
>
> my plan is i will install dc in head quarter office and i will install
> additional dc in every  site office that will replicate the directory only
> with the head quater office dc.
>
> so my question are
> 1. is my plan possible to be implemented?

I hope so, I am at the moment at the same stage. Locally my Samba4
seems to work (under FreeBSD and ZFS which had its own challenges)

So next step is testing replication. It's on my plan for the next days.

4.0 had a FreeBSD specific problem with replication but it seems to be
fixed since 4.05 (BUG 9656: Work around FreeBSD's getaddrinfo()
underscore issue)

So I am looking forward!

> 2. how many bandwidth do i need in every site (head quarters office and
> each site office) to run my plan?

I have the question too. Replication is a "black box" for me so your
guess is good as mine;-)

> 3. is anyone here ever implement the same scheme with my plan, pliz in need
> some advice to implement it ..

I will keep you informed if I see issues.

As a sidenote: How difficult are updates? The FreeBSD port system is a
bit behind so I wonder whether there are major obstacles when
upgrading to a newer 4.1 version in the future.

Regards
Peter