[Samba] samba Digest, Vol 131, Issue 13

Rob Janssen rob at ision.nl
Wed Nov 13 14:55:20 MST 2013

samba-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Subject:
> [Samba] DNS error when join domain (Win 7 -> SAMBA 4)
> From:
> petro at iei.org.br
> Date:
> 11/13/2013 07:36 PM
>
> To:
> <samba at lists.samba.org>
>

> I stood up a samba 4 (4.0.10) Active Directory domain controller on
> a Debian Wheezy server, configured in accordance with the SambaAD DC
> HOWTO<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO>  . I'm trying
> to join a Windows 7 Enterprise Edition client to the domain. Windows
> responds with:
>
> Error while attempting to join the domain
> "MYDOMAIN":
> Fails when trying to resolve the DNS name of a domain
> controller in the domain being accessed ..
>
> The DNS (Samba Internal DNS
> Server) is working right. I tested with the commands:
>
> host -t SRV
> _ldap._tcp.samdom.example.com.
> host -t SRV
> _kerberos._udp.samdom.example.com.
>
> host -t A
> samba.samdom.example.com.
>
> Yesterday I got success to add a computer to
> the domain, but today it did not work. I made no change from yesterday
> to today.
>
> Could anyone help me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rafael.

You can fix this by using the full (dotted) name of the domain, not the old style NT name.
So, join samdom.example.com instead of DOMAIN.
Then it will work, at least for Windows7.

Today I noticed something strange.   While it works OK for Windows 7, for Windows XP it
only works when a computer account already exists in the AD.
I migrated to Samba by joining as an additional DC and then demoting the Windows DC.
While the Windows DC was still running, I could join XP workstations to the domain under
the old-style plain name.  Computer account was created and domain joined.
When the Windows DC was shut down, I tried Windows 7 and it did not work, but after
changing plain name to dotted name, it works OK.   But with Windows XP it does not work
with either the old-style or dotted domain name.
However, when I first create a computer account in the AD and then let the XP system
join (as part of an unattended install) it works OK.

What can be the problem?

Rob