[Samba] Samba 4 replication experiences?

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Wed Nov 6 12:23:26 MST 2013

Hello Brian,

Am 06.11.2013 19:11, schrieb Brian Martin:
> I'm giving a presentation on Samba 4 to my local user group later this
> week.  Although I have plenty to share, I haven't tried out its domain
> replication functionality.  Some parts of the web site suggest that DC
> replication is still a work in progress, others say it's all good.  I'd
> like to hear some reports from the field.  Do you have current or recent
> experience with Samba 4 as a domain controller doing replication?  Does
> it work?  Is it reliable? Please also let me know what you're
> replicating to/from (another Samba 4 or Microsoft AD DC).

I migrated our production Samba3 NT-4 domain to Samba AD last year when
it was still beta. We are having around 270 workstations and about 180
user accounts. The domain is provided by two Samba DC and it works great.

Until yet, we haven't encountered any problems with directory
replication. During the first time I watched the directory when I did
changes. But everything replicates fine. My experiences is, that it is
very reliable.

We don't have a mixed environment with windows DC, so I can't say
anything about that.

The only very very missing feature, and I think I'm not the only one,
is, SysVol replication. I wrote a HowTo in the Wiki for a SysVol
replication workaround, that works good if all DC are Samba. But it
can't be used for a mixed environment. This is a feature, that is very
important for many.

Maybe Andrew or some other developer can give a short statement on the
current state of SysVol replication and if there's a plan in which
version this feature could be finished. I would be also interested in
testing this feature in my test environment, even if it's not fully
finished and give feedback.

Regards,
Marc