[Samba] Access denied when associating a driver with a printer

James Cort james.cort at bediwin.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 08:30:26 MST 2013

On 5 Nov 2013, at 14:28, James Cort <james.cort at bediwin.co.uk> wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2013, at 18:04, Marc Muehlfeld <samba at marc-muehlfeld.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello James,
>>
>> Am 04.11.2013 13:32, schrieb James Cort:
>>> I'm trying to get point & print working against a 4.0.10 Samba server (using the sernet packages if that's relevant).
>>>
>>> I have the printer itself setup and I've uploaded the driver, but associating the uploaded driver with the printer causes Windows to give an error: "Printer settings could not be saved. Access is denied".
>>>
>>> I'm seeing the same symptoms on XP and 7, and if I use rpcclient from the command line I get WERR_ACCESS_DENIED.
>>
>> Have you checked
>> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server
>>
>> Maybe you missed anything?
>
> That would be the most obvious explanation - but I don't believe I have.

Think I may have solved it.

Two issues here:

First is that "use client drivers" must be either set to "no" or not set at all. This isn't documented on the wiki page, though Google has found a few other instances of others making the same mistake.

Second is that smbcontrol all reload-config did NOT reload the configuration in its entirety. Restarting Samba, however, did.

I now have a driver associated. It's not printing anything, but I'm not sure if that's related!

James.