[Samba] LDB modules configuration

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 5 01:06:20 MST 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-04 at 15:14 +0400, Dmitry Dneprov wrote:
> Hi Andrew !
>
> My final goal is to develop my own module to connect to my own
> backend database (with non-standard RPC-like API).
> I plan to integrate SAMBA in my existing
> infrastructure instead of fully reorganizing it (infrastructure).
> As far as I understand LDB architecture is highly modular,
> with TDB at the lowest level.
> I want to take LDB_SQLITE3 module as a base for my own module,
> which I intend to use instead of TDB.
> Any help in this direction will be appreciated.

This certainly is a big challenge, but nothing is impossible in
software.  You would either have to be key-value based (in which case we
need a new abstraction in ldb_tdb, such as is planned for a future
ldb_ntdb and any future ldb_mdb), or implement LDAP semantics, including
the very fiddly details of the schema handling.  Much of this is
currently pushed in to ldb_tdb via our schema pointers.

However you decided to do this, the trick would be to add a new mode to
source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/samba_dsdb.c, just like the openldap
backend.

Have a look at:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/LDAP_Backend/OpenLDAP

and then see how that sets things up.