[Samba] change user home

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Nov 1 06:57:53 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 13:48 +0100, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai,  Thanks for responding. :-))
>
> My setup is the following.
> - windows 2008R2 ADS (incl dns+dhcp )
> - second server samba 4.0.10-8 sernet-samba on ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS , its a second DC.
>   replication etc tested ok, i can add users from linux and windows.
>
> i only added in /etc/nsswitch.conf these lines ( added winbind )
>
> passwd:         compat winbind
> group:          compat winbind
> hosts:          files dns
>
> other settings are default
>

> this is my smb.conf, as much basic as possible.
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = MYDOMAIN
>         realm = MYDOMAIN.BAZUIN.NL
>         netbios name = MS249-LIN-007
>         server string = ms249-lin-007
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         #
>         # In case you are using bind9_dlz, you should uncomment "server services" to
>         # disable the internal dns server from starting.
>         #
>         server services = s3fs rpc nbt wrepl ldap cldap kdc drepl winbind ntp_signd kcc dnsupdate
>         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>
> 		## added my own.
>         domain logons = Yes
>         template shell = /bin/bash
>         ntp signd socket directory = /var/lib/samba/ntp_signed
>

> #---- disable printing completely
>         load printers = no
>         printing = bsd
>         printcap name = /dev/null
>         disable spoolss = yes
>
> [netlogon]
>         path = /home/samba/MYDOMAIN/sysvol/MYDOMAIN.bazuin.nl/scripts
>         read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>         path = /home/samba/MYDOMAIN/sysvol
>         read only = No
>

> My disk/partition setup
>
> Dedicated for samba:  /home/samba/ ( profiles, companydata, etc etc )
> my users ( windows ) /home/users/username
> my linux users	   /home/username
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Louis

Hi
On the DC, you cannot use winbind to pull the home directory. You can
only get uidNumber and gidNumber. That shouldn't be a problem since your
users will never need to log into the DC. It's nice to have it though.
I'd recommend sssd on anything Linuxy to do the home folder job for you
with the minimum of fuss. The attribute you'd be interested in is
uinixHomeDirectory which is not available via samba-tool on your
version. Add it as and when you create users with ldbmodify.
HTH
Steve