[Samba] Sysvol replication and group policies

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Thu May 30 09:31:28 MDT 2013

Hello Ulrich,

Am 30.05.2013 12:35, schrieb Ulrich Schneider:
> As I read in the article listet at the and of this email there is no
> sysvol replication while joining a domain as a dc.
>
> This means to me (if im right) that there are no group policies
> available on the samba dc.
>
> Is this right?
>
> On the other hand if I create a new domain n a samba dc and if I set up
> asamba as a new dc ... group policies are available.
>
> Is this correct?

A Samba DC can provide GP. They are stored on the SysVol share. But
because SysVol replication currently isn't implemented, you have to care
about the replication to other DCs by yourself. Many people using rsync
for doing this job.

Depending on the way how you transfer the files between the SysVol
shares, you maybe have to do changes on one DC, from where they are
transfered to other DC.

Regards,
Marc