[Samba] Samba4 Dc Winbind and uidNumbers

Jim Potter jimpotter at orange.net
Wed May 29 01:19:05 MDT 2013

Hi All,

Sory for late reply - I think I've got to the bottom of this...

The Domain controller windbindd needs the line

idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

This tells it to use the uidnumber from AD. The others don't seem to
make a lot of difference on a DC.

....but I also found this:

- If the 'use rfc2307' line wasn't there when the second DC was added,
that DC will make up its own uidnumbers which won't get overwritten by
the ones from AD, so its not always easy to tell that its worked. My top
tip for a second DC:

- Set up first DC with use rfc2307 - this won't put uid/gidnumbers into
AD - the DC will invent its own values
- copy the uid/gidnumbers and from your default AD users and groups from
your first DC (getent passwd and getent group) and put them into the
uidnumber and gidnumber attributes in AD
- now when you add your second DC make sure you have use rfc2307 and it
will pick up these uidnumbers from AD and you'll have consistent numbers
across all DCs.

I've found that this is part of the problem I was having with sysvol
replication too - rsync would copy files over and keep uidnumbers
intact, but these mapped to different users on different servers.

Does that make sense?

Jim

PS with samba4, why don't the different processes have nice names? I
have a whole bunch of processes called 'samba', one of which is an LDAP
server, one a kerberos server, DNS, winbind etc. Its a crazy idea, but
why not call them 'ldap', 'dns', 'kerberos' etc? It might make things a
bit easier..