[Samba] configuring Shares, Users with Samba 4.0.5 as an AD DC

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat May 18 08:31:03 MDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-18 at 12:51 +0200, Ulrich Schneider wrote:
> Maybe I should rephrase the question (and use a more suitable topic)
>
> I have Samba 4.0.5. as an active domain controller.
> I want to know how to set up shares e.g. this way:
>
> share1 	accessible r/w for users in the active directory user group group1

You can choose cryptic stuff in smb.conf or go with a 2 liner smb.conf
and use the equally cryptic acl method. The latter is quicker:

[share1]
path = /path/to/share1

setfacl -d -Rm g:group1:rw /path/to/share2

I think that's what smb.conf does anyway but don't quote me.

I'm sure that it can't be as simple as that but it works perfectly
without having to know anything about smb.conf
hth
Steve