[Samba] Windows 8 and Samba 4 - network path not found

Carsten Laun-De Lellis carsten.delellis at delellis.net
Sun May 12 01:03:10 MDT 2013

Hi

As you can see from the emails before I installed Samba4 from the Ubuntu rep
but recompiled it.

When I now rund smbclient -L localhost -U% I always get

Unknown parameter encountered: "server role"
Ignoring unknown parameter "server role"
Unknown parameter encountered: "server services"
Ignoring unknown parameter "server services"
Domain=[DELELLIS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.0.1]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        netlogon        Disk
        sysvol          Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.0.1)
Domain=[DELELLIS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.0.1]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

Telling me that there are 2 unknown parameters "server role" and "server
services" in smb.conf. The file was generated as output of the samba-tool
provision command. I still can't logon to my server. Could this has
something to do with the unknown entries ?

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Carsten Laun-De Lellis
Dipl.-Ing. Elektrotechnik
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)

Hauptstrasse 13
D-67705 Trippstadt

Phone:   +49 (6306) 992140
Mobile:  +49 (151) 27530865