[Samba] S4: Linux clients do not have DNS records

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu May 9 00:57:43 MDT 2013

samba 4.0.6 DC
Hi
Linux clients joined to the domain do not have dns entries on the DC but
still work OK. Here is a query for a machine called pinoso:

samba-tool dns query hh16 hh3.site pinoso A
Password for [Administrator at HH3.SITE]:
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (9714,
'WERR_DNS_ERROR_NAME_DOES_NOT_EXIST')
   File
"/usr/local/samba/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
line 175, in _run
     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
   File
"/usr/local/samba/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py",
line 974, in run

If we change the dns of the client, it still works just fine although
the DC seems to have no record for it. Worrying. . .

Should Linux clients have dns records on the DC? I can't see how they
would work if they don't. Are they stored elsewhere?
Thanks,
Steve