[Samba] Recently joined 2k3, shut down primary, seized roles, now have slight dns (maybe) problem.

Pekka L.J. Jalkanen pekka.jalkanen at vihreat.fi
Mon May 6 10:40:04 MDT 2013

Caio Zanolla wrote:
> One more detail. When browsing "Domain Controllers" on AD Users and
> Computers it says there are no domain controllers and the folder gets an
> exclamation mark. Also Im not sure it should, but the samba DC is not
> listed on the Computers list.

Hi Caio,

I've no idea what part of this is due to your DNS problems, but I had a
similar problem with a similar domain (Samba DC joined to old Windows
2003 domain; see Samba bug 9828), and what helped for me was to execute
the same steps on my Windows DC that MS instructs you to do before
adding Windows 2008 DCs to old domains. See the following links:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771461%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731243%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/11/11/so-you-want-to-upgrade-to-windows-2008-domain-controllers-adprep.aspx

Note also the "adprep /rodcprep" part that MS lists as optional: at
least in my setup Samba was specifically looking for the msDS-isRODC
-attributes (evident by errors in log.samba), even though I've no RODCs.

Note that for this to work I had to run these commands before adding any
Samba DCs to the mix (running these afterwards just broke replication,
requiring me to forcibly demote my Samba DC and run ntdsutil/metadata
cleanup). So as you've already seized the operations masters roles, you
might want to re-install your Windows DC, re-transfer the roles to it
and demote your Samba DC(s) before trying any of this.

This probably won't solve your DNS problems, though. But at least for
me, it got the RSAT working.

Pekka L.J. Jalkanen