[Samba] Samba4 DNS Internal - Domain Zone does not exists...

Evandro Filho evandrov at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 17:19:07 MDT 2013

Hi all,

We are testing Samba4 as a DC from a existing Win2k3 Domain.

Everything is running, but we noticed the following strange things:
1) We cannot manager the Samba DNS "server" by Windows DNS manger tool;
2) The domain zone, i.e. mydomain.com zone, do not exists at Samba4 DNS. All of the others (i.e. _msdsc.mydomain.com, , etc) exists.
3) We cannot ADD an entry in Samba DNS, (using samba-tool dns add mysambasrv mydomain.com blá blá blá). The system returns an error like "name doesn't exists". At the WindowsDC, I can see de mydomain.com zone, the registers and I can ADD, Delete, etc.
If I run the samba-tool dns add command, pointing to my WindowsDC server, it works fine.

So, my questions are:

- How can I see "mydomain.com" zone at samba4 server?
- Is this zone can be replicated from WindowsDC to Samba4 internal DNS?
- Is it normal this kind of behavior?
- What can I do to fix this?

Thanks a lot,

Evandro.