[Samba] Samba, Win7 login failure

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Wed May 1 09:41:40 MDT 2013

Hello,

Am 01.05.2013 16:33, schrieb snowybunting:
> It will not log into samba shares with my credentials, but it will
> if I use someone else's. Smbclient -L back to the Win7 machine fails,
> but works to the XP machine and its new name. Since logging in with
> another users name works, I have to think the Win7 is communicating
> properly, I just can't get there with my own credentials.

Just a guess:

XP supported LM an NTLM hashed password. Win7 uses only NTLM by default.
Maybe your password was last time set a long time ago and only the LM
hash was saved on your server. And if the other users had changed their
password later, where it was also stored as NTLM hash, this could
explain, why they can login and you can't.

What happens if you reset your password?

For more ideas/help, please provide some more information (samba
version, etc.).

Regards
Marc