[Samba] Making users local administrators

Terry Austin terry at crownhardware.com
Wed Mar 20 15:31:09 MDT 2013

I have Samba 4 (lastest version, I think) set up for Active Driectory.
Everything is working just, using Microsoft's Group Policy Editor to manage
stuff. Except one thing:

For reasons you don't want to get me started on, I need all users to have
local administrative priviliges on any computer on the domain. This is
supposed to be a simple, straightforward thing. Google has led me to half a
dozen different ways to do this through group policies. And none of them
work. I can set any other kind of group policy I want, power saving
settings, screen saver settings, various security settings in IE, and the
new settings show up with a gpupdate /force, but I cannot figure out how to
add someone to the local administrators group. Can somebody point me to a
really remedial howto? Something like "group policies for complete idiots"
maybe.