[Samba] helppp! security = user + public share

Benjamin Huntsman BHuntsman at mail2.cu-portland.edu
Mon Mar 18 17:00:58 MDT 2013

This is Samba 3.6.10, BTW.

After further debugging, I can't get it to work under any circumstances with XP, but I can get it to allow guest shares with the following:

security = USER
encrypt passwords = Yes
map to guest = Bad User

However, I really need encrypt passwors = No.  That apparently is the culprit however.

Does anyone know how to allow guest access while sending unencrypted credentials?  I'm guessing it fails because the user exists in the UNIX passwd file.

Many thanks in advance!

-Ben