[Samba] helppp! security = user + public share

Benjamin Huntsman BHuntsman at mail2.cu-portland.edu
Mon Mar 18 15:30:51 MDT 2013

I'm getting killed this morning, since we did a Samba upgrade to one of our production servers this weekend and didn't expect this one.

I have one share that I need unauthenticated access to from a few named workstations.  Here's the config:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (x.x.x.x)
# Date: 2013/03/18 14:25:33

[global]
	encrypt passwords = No
	map to guest = Bad User
	guest account = pcguest
	log level = 3
	os level = 8
	local master = No
	domain master = No
	idmap config * : range =
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[pubshare]
	path = /doclink
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	hosts allow = x.x.x.x

So, from the host that is named on the pubshare share, I should just be able to go to Start --> run, and enter \\server\pubshare and be in, regardless of who I'm logged in as.
I also added the pcguest account into the passdb backend using 'smbpasswd -an pcguest'.  And yet, it's still prompting for a password.

I need this to work because several automated processes rely on the share.  It works just fine if I flip it back to security = SHARE, but that breaks all the shares on the system for Windows XP clients.

Anyway, huge thanks to anyone who might be able to assist!!

-Ben