[Samba] Migrating Win2000 PDC to Samba4 AD

Lukas Gradl samba.org at ssn.at
Fri Mar 15 11:18:51 MDT 2013

Zitat von felix at epepm.cupet.cu:

>> Hi!
>>
>> We want to replace an old Win2000 Server (PDC). As we've already some
>> Samba4 AD-Controllers up and running we would like to migrate to that
>> setup.
>>
>> Unfortunatly we're not really good at Windows-Stuff - our main Focus
>> ist Linux.
>>
>> So perhaps someone could point as to a good (and ideally painless :-))
>> way to migrate.
>>
>> So the current setup is:
>> A single Win2000 PDC used mainly as File- and Printserver on some
>> ancient Hardware. Clients run WinXP and Win7.
>>
>> What we want to achieve:
>> A Samba4 AD server offering File- and Printservices on new Hardware.
>> (Later on we add another Samba4 Server in the same AD which we've
>> already done on another Installation, so no problem here)
>>
>> What we consider as possibly helpful things we have available: A
>> Windows 2003 License and a Win2008R2 License which is currently unused.
>> All new hardware is virtualized, so it's no problem to setup some
>> additional server as intermediate step if necessary.
>>

>> So, any Windows-Guru available that can help us with that task and
>> without having to recreate the whole Windows domain with all it's
>> users and rejoining and reconfiguring all client-PCs?
>>

> I think this is what you're looking for:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC
>
> Felix.

Felix,

Thanks for your response. This is for joining to an existing
AD-Controller. Does this work for Win2000 as well? As I said - we're
not really good at Windows stuff and thought Win2000 is not Active
Directory but the old PDC/BDC scheme.

The Server shows "The Computer is a Domain-Controller" when checking
in My Computer/Properties/Network.
Does that mean this is an AD-Controller?

Regards
Lukas