[Samba] samba4 AD DC as file server?

Denis Witt denis.witt at concepts-and-training.de
Tue Mar 12 07:15:17 MDT 2013

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 09:43:46 +0000
Rowland Penny <rpenny at f2s.com> wrote:

> You can create shares on samba4 and connect to them from the cli, via
> smbclient for instance, you just cannot browse to them.
> The accepted practice seems to be, set up Samba 4 for authorisation
> and then set up a separate Samba3 fileserver.

Hi,

I'm using Samba 4.0.3 as an AD DC here and, yes, he doesn't show up in
the Network list of my clients but if you type in the Machine Name or
the IP the (visible) shares are shown as usual. Also you can create a
Group Policy to bind the shares as network drives. So I can't see any
reason why someone should set up a separate Samba3 as fileserver. File
and Access rights are working fine, too (and they are easier to handle
than Samba3 rights when you can make use of xattrs).

Did I miss something?

Bye for now.