[Samba] samba4 AD DC as file server?

Jim Potter jimchuffff at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 12 15:10:38 MDT 2013

Hi all,

I've been wondering about the separate Dc and fileserver setup (and the 2
winbinds) too.

In my current setup (samba3/openLDAP) all my fileservers are DCs because
then I don't have to worry about idmaps and winbind at all.

This DC/fileserver samba4 separation can't be the recommended setup purely
because the DCs don't do network browsing, surely. In my environment (a
school) a browseable network neighbourhood is trouble and disabled for
everyone. Except me.

Am I right in thinking that a Samba3 fileserver is recommended because its
more tried and tested at fileserving, and separating out the DC'ing onto a
samba4 box just separates everything nicely and avoids complications? Or
does a samba4 DC also acting as a fileserver have limitations of some kind?

cheers

Jim