[Samba] Weird behaviour of one Win7 user

Dr. Harry Knitter harry at knitter-edv-beratung.de
Mon Mar 11 03:30:49 MDT 2013

Hello list,

I have a samba 3.5.6 running on a Debian squeeze machine. This box is running
since more than a year without any problems.
Since a couple of days we have the following problem.
One Win7 user doesn't get his user profile any more
The log file tells:

[2013/03/04 07:43:14.641151,  1] auth/auth_util.c:580(make_server_info_sam)
  User WIN7MACHINE$ in passdb, but getpwnam() fails!
[2013/03/04 07:43:14.641191,  0] auth/auth_sam.c:493(check_sam_security)
  check_sam_security: make_server_info_sam() failed with
'NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

This happens from any machine the user concerned tries to connect the domain.
Other Win7 users do not have the problem regardless what machine they use.

The user exists in tbdsam and in the unix passwd file as does the machine.

Everything worked well until Friday, when we experienced this problem. Friday
the user first experienced this problem, however after several retries to log
in the domain it suddenly worked again.
Today (Monday) the user couldn't get his user profile anymore and couldn't
connect to the domain.

Neither samba configuration, nor user settings have been changed. The problem
occured without any configuration or permission changes.

I have googled around a lot. However I didn't find any hint to solve my
problem.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Harry