[Samba] DNS replication and BDCs

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Thu Jun 20 16:26:47 MDT 2013

Hello David,

Am 20.06.2013 19:55, schrieb "David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]":
> I would like youi to point me or tell me how do I create a fail-over or
> high availability system so that when one of the DCs is down the other
> takes over Auth tasks and obviously DNS.
>
> I've thought a solution would be to make a slave BIND DNS on another
> slaver and replicate the Samba Zone and add aappropriate NS and A
> records to the main zone so that clients can query another DNS for the
> zone and not fail as I faced yesterday. This is a production environment
> scenario and I have many servers authenticating users against the samba
> server so if this fails everything else does.

When you join a second DC to the AD
(http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC),
then the DNS part is also automatically replicated.

As you already have a second DC, please check, if Samba (or BIND) is
listening on port 53 to answer DNS queries.

# netstat -taunp | grep ":53"

Then you only have to configure your clients, to use the second machine
as DNS server, too.

There's nothing special you have to do here.

You can use BIND or the internal DNS on the other DCs. It don't need to
be the same than on your first one.

Regards,
Marc