[Samba] samba and server availability

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Fri Jun 14 04:04:57 MDT 2013

Hello Blake,

Am 12.06.2013 00:50, schrieb Blake Patton:
> Greetings, I have a samba server working fine, it is on a stock debian
> box, with 2 nics, one inside and one outside. The problem I have is that
> when the outside interface goes down, (the internet connection is a
> wireless connection and in inclement weather the connection is
> unavailable for some time). nobody on the internal network is able to
> even see the server let alone the shares. I am stumped on this one, any
> ideas.

Should samba listen on the wireless interface, too? If not, you can
restrict Samba to listen only on defined interfaces (interfaces = lo eth0).

When the WLAN disconnects, does its interface dissappears? I don't know
what system/backend you are running, so this is maybe something, that
confuses Samba.

Does anything interesting appears in the system log, when the WLAN goes
down? And also in the Samba logs?

Please give some more information (versions, OS, does NetworkManager
manages your NICs or something else, etc.), to make it easier to find
the problem.

Regards,
Marc