[Samba] Losing Permissions of Files

Tanveer Virani tanveer.virani at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 20:22:29 MDT 2013

Hi Marc,

Here is the information that you requested. When I say that "all
permissions on a file are lost", this is at the windows level. In Windows
Explorer, we go to open the file in the default program, we get an "Access
denied. Contact your administrator." error. When I right click on the file
and goto Properties -> Security, I get a "You do not have permission to
view or edit this object's permission settings." This usually happens after
someone has edited the file. It is not one individual or group that has
this issue. It could be anyone within the organization. These files are
mostly Microsoft Office files (xls, ppt, and doc).

ACLs of file with permissions lost:
#getfacl "BS June 11.2013.xlsx"
# file: BS June 11.2013.xlsx
# owner: 3000059
# group: users
user::rwx
user:root:rwx
group::---
group:wheel:rwx
group:users:---
group:3000007:rwx
group:3000059:rwx
group:3000064:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

ACLs after I copy the file (cp -pr file newfile)
getfacl "BS June 11.2013.xlsx.new"
# file: BS June 11.2013.xlsx.new
# owner: nws
# group: users
user::rwx
user:root:rwx
group::---
group:wheel:rwx
group:users:---
group:3000007:rwx
group:3000059:rwx
group:3000064:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

As you can see, other then the owner, everything else is the same.

Any help would be much appreciated, or if you require more info, please let
me know where to look.

Tanveer