[Samba] Building Samba4 for Debian from Git

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 11 16:35:51 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 10:40 +0200, Dominique wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build samba4 for an Ubuntu 12 server, as the provided
> package by Canonical is an alpha version. I got the latest? source from
> git:git clone git://git.samba.org/samba.git samba-master
> I then build it from this source (make/configure/maske install) and it
> worked. However, I realized that I neededto package it for Ubuntu to
> recognize the install and not offer to install it when other programs
> looked for samba4...
>
> I tried to build a package with git-buildpackage but I got a error for
> missing debian/changelog...
> I understand I was missing that file, but not only: debian/rules does
> not seem to be included.
>
>  From there I got lost with various how-tos - even the official samba link
> git clone git://git.debian.org/pkg-samba/samba4 samba4-unstable
>
> Does not work either...
>
> I am sure there is a way to build a package for the last stable samba4 for Ubuntu, but I cant seem to figured it out...

I wish it was as simple as all that.  We are only now in the final
stages of preparing a package for debian experiemental.

It is at git://git.debian.org/pkg-samba/samba in the samba_4.0 branch.

It does build with git-buildpackage.  We don't store Debian or Ubuntu
packaging information in the Samba tree.

It would be very helpful if you could work with the Debian Samba
packaging team to help us finish the merged Samba 4.0 package.

Discussions are held on this list:

Andrew Bartlett