[Samba] Samba 4.0.6 Ubuntu Package Available

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 7 16:07:12 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 16:10 -0500, Mike Ray wrote:
> Hello everyone-
>
> Just a quick little blurb to anyone interested: I've spend some time packaging Samba4 for Ubuntu 12.04 and I believe it is finally "ready".
>
> A couple of notes about the package:
>
> - it is compiled from the 4.0.6 tarball available from Samba
> - it has packages for amd64 and i386* class machines
> - it requires various other non-stable class packages
> - it uses the file system hierarchy
> - BIND9_DLZ as a dns-backend has issues with replication between DCs due to a TKEY error that I have not figured out* *
> - it contains 2 totally unofficial, handcrafted patches -- very briefly one fixed an issue with environment variable substitution and the the other adds some flexibility to samba_dnsupdate to skip IP addresses
>

> If anyone wants to give it a try, all the necessary packages are available from here: ppa:xespackages/samba4
> Though if you are not going to use bind, you can omit the "bind9-upstart" package.
>

> I'm going to be testing with it before it goes live at my place; however, any feedback -- either on the package itself or on the functionality of the resulting Samba install -- is greatly appreciated.
>

> A huge shout-out to the Samba Team for developing this software .
> A personal shout-out to Jelmer for his help in packaging matters .

Just wondering, are you basing it around the Debian experimental
packages I've been working with the debian packaging team on?

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-samba/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/samba_4.0

git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-samba/samba.git

(The reason I ask is that we need help finishing the work, and I'm
trying to avoid double-work and get a finished package ready for
everyone).

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett