[Samba] Samba 4.0.6 Ubuntu Package Available

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Fri Jun 7 15:10:04 MDT 2013

Hello everyone-

Just a quick little blurb to anyone interested: I've spend some time packaging Samba4 for Ubuntu 12.04 and I believe it is finally "ready".

A couple of notes about the package:

- it is compiled from the 4.0.6 tarball available from Samba
- it has packages for amd64 and i386* class machines
- it requires various other non-stable class packages
- it uses the file system hierarchy
- BIND9_DLZ as a dns-backend has issues with replication between DCs due to a TKEY error that I have not figured out* *
- it contains 2 totally unofficial, handcrafted patches -- very briefly one fixed an issue with environment variable substitution and the the other adds some flexibility to samba_dnsupdate to skip IP addresses

If anyone wants to give it a try, all the necessary packages are available from here: ppa:xespackages/samba4
Though if you are not going to use bind, you can omit the "bind9-upstart" package.

I'm going to be testing with it before it goes live at my place; however, any feedback -- either on the package itself or on the functionality of the resulting Samba install -- is greatly appreciated.

A huge shout-out to the Samba Team for developing this software .
A personal shout-out to Jelmer for his help in packaging matters .

Have a good one,
Mike Ray

*I've only tested amd64 versions
**these issues were also present for me in the source tarball so I am unsure as to whether or not this is a package issue or a Samba bug