[Samba] _msdcs names

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Wed Jun 5 04:51:54 MDT 2013

On 04/06/13 23:47, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> We really don't want that in the wiki, because you should not be putting
> fixed things in /etc/hosts, we have to fix it another way.  What we do
> want is to know:

Hi Andrew

Thanks for picking this up!

>   - is this still an issue in GIT master?

Not sure. When setting up our DC #1 I did originally git from samba-master, but that was a month ago. I decided to match the git revision for DC #2, and all seemed fine apart from this last little hiccup.

So, it may well have been fixed in the latest git samba-master.

I DO intend to keep these DCs up-to-date regularly, either from samba-master or stable whichever you think is best :-)

>   - can we detect the difference between this error and a real
> non-existent name by looking at return codes (we had a similar issue on
> FreeBSD, and caught it this way).  I'm hoping we might just be missing
> that fix, or there was a regression in that.

OK.

> We have (multiple) alternative DNS resolvers internally, and we do use
> them.  We try to use nss when we can, but fall back for the cases that
> don't work.  If we can't rely on the error code, we may have to use a
> pre-check of the name instead.
>
> Any assistance tracking this down most valued, as it seems to be biting
> folks.

I would LOVE to help you folks out.

Words cannot describe how impressed I am with Samba (through the many years I have been using it) and indeed more so now with Samba4.

What would you like me to do?

Regards

:-)

Paully

--

Paul Littlefield

Telephone: 07801 125705
Email: info at paully.co.uk
Web: www.paully.co.uk
Twitter: https://twitter.com/paullittlefield
Wiki: http://wiki.indie-it.com/index.php?title=Special:AllPages
Blog: http://www.littlefield.info
Photo: http://gravatar.com/plittlefield
LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/paullittlefield

Paul Littlefield is environmentally responsible. Please consider the environment before printing this email. This email and any attachment is intended for the named addressee only, or person authorised to receive it on their behalf. The content should be treated as confidential and the recipient may not disclose this message or any attachment to anyone else without authorisation. If this transmission is received in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this message from your email system. All electronic transmissions to and from me are recorded and may be monitored. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for viruses. Paul Littlefield accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Notebook LENOVO ThinkPad Edge
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU U 380 @ 1.33GHz
Portage 2.1.11.62 (default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, gcc-4.7.2, glibc-2.15-r3, 3.7.9-gentoo x86_64)
Gentoo Base System release 2.1
X.Org X Server 1.14.0
xfce-base/xfdesktop-4.10.2
x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.21.6