[Samba] _msdcs names

"David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]" info at dghvoip.com
Tue Jun 4 17:25:00 MDT 2013

On 6/4/2013 5:47 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 12:36 +0100, Paul Littlefield wrote:
>> On 31/05/13 12:25, Paul Littlefield wrote:
>>> Workaround: put guid names in /etc/hosts if you experience this bug.
>>
>> I don't believe it. That has fixed it.
>>
>> No more WERR_BADFILE errors in /usr/local/samba/var/log.samba
>>
>> Domain Computers that were not in DC2 now are.
>>
>> Many thanks Giedrius <giedrius+samba at su.lt>
>>
>> Replication now works.
>>

>>> Aaahhh, interesting. I will eat my hat if this fixes it.
>>
>> It's a bit chewy, but well worth it. :) That's my lunch sorted, and my Windows Serverless network.
>>
>> Amazing... and so typical of Linux. The solution is there, you just need someone to point it out.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone.
>>

>> PS: ok, so who is going to add it to the official Samba wiki page now?
> We really don't want that in the wiki, because you should not be putting
> fixed things in /etc/hosts, we have to fix it another way.  What we do
> want is to know:
>
>   - is this still an issue in GIT master?
>   - can we detect the difference between this error and a real
> non-existent name by looking at return codes (we had a similar issue on
> FreeBSD, and caught it this way).  I'm hoping we might just be missing
> that fix, or there was a regression in that.
Well being myself the one who found that cheezy solution, I can point
out that yes that's the version form git master.

It only happens when you replicate, when you join either a w2k8 Server
to the domain and do dcpromo on on it.

> We have (multiple) alternative DNS resolvers internally, and we do use
> them.  We try to use nss when we can, but fall back for the cases that
> don't work.  If we can't rely on the error code, we may have to use a
> pre-check of the name instead.
>
> Any assistance tracking this down most valued, as it seems to be biting
> folks.
I changed resolv.conf on DCA to ip.to.dc.b and no joy then I changed
resolv.conf o DC2 to ip.of.dc.1 and nothing worked.

cheers

--
David Gonzalez
DGHVoIP