[Samba] DNS capabilities (was: Re: dynamic DNS Updates still failing, re-installed 9 more times, tried everything I could think of, now bald.)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jun 2 07:10:58 MDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-02 at 01:50 -0700, Gary Maurizi wrote:
> I am sorry to waste space on the mailing list for such a simple question,
> but can anyone tell me:
>
> 1. Does samba_internal backend work with MX records yet?

Not in a 4.0 release.  (Patch is in the queue for the next 4.0.x
release, and is in git master)

> 2. Will BIND9_FLATFILE allow dynamic DNS updates when a computer joins the
> domain?

Yes, but if that much works, the dlz backend will also work, and will
handle other aspects of being an AD DC much more cleanly.  Don't use
BIND9_FLATFILE (we may actually remove it to avoid further confusion).

Andrew Bartlett