[Samba] Windows 8 pro and Samba 4

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Jul 29 11:35:01 MDT 2013

Hello,

Am 29.07.2013 16:10, schrieb isscma at aralar.edunet.es:
> The win8 machine is able to resolve the netbios name of the server.
> ping works fine. I ping the netbios name and it returns the ip address.
>
> I attach the 4 screenshots.
> - the first is the message I get on trying to join the domain
> - the 2nd -> 4th is just to show the network settings of the client. We
> normally leave all on default settings.
>
> The surprising thing is that win7 and winxp join the domain without
> problems and use exactly the same network settings as the win8.
>
> I send you also my samba 4.x global configuration.
>
> [global]
>      workgroup = CMARALAR
>      server string = Servidor
>      interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
>      bind interfaces only = Yes
>      deadtime = 5
>      load printers = No
>      add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d
> /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
>      logon script = conecta.vbs
>      logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
>      logon drive = Z:
>      domain logons = Yes
>      os level = 65
>      preferred master = Yes
>      domain master = Yes
>      ldap ssl = no
>      idmap config * : range =
>      idmap config * : backend = tdb
>      hide special files = Yes
>      hide unreadable = Yes
>      hide unwriteable files = Yes
>      veto files = /*-China*/*-runtime*/*.desktop*/
>
> Note, I installed opensuse 12.2, after installation, I uninstalled
> completely samba 3.x and installed samba 4.x, winxp, win7 joins the
> domain without problems but win8 no! I remember we had the same problem
> with the samba version that comes with opensuse 11.x and win7, it is
> only when we installed opensuse 12.x that win7 was able to connect to
> the samba version. Now the problem is with samba 3.x that comes with
> opensuse 12.2 and also samba 4.x that is rumoured to support

When you wrote Samba 4 I automatically though "AD". Sorry. My fault. I
run Samba 4 as AD DC. There XP, 7 and 8 doesn't require any changes to
join the domain.

If you run Samba in a NT4 style domain, it seems that the
DomainCompatibilityMode and DNSNameResolutionRequired changes are still
required (at least in this articla about W8 and Samba 3.6.9):
http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/Linux-with-Windows-8

Does it work if you change this two values?

Regards,
Marc