[Samba] How to install a replacement PDC?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 09:49:20 MDT 2013

Run the "testparm -v" to see full details, including defaults that may
not have been explicitly specified in smb.conf.      You want to look
out for the "passdb backend" value.  On samba 3.4 or later tdbsam is
probably the only valid local option.  If you were using the smbpasswd
file (text?) format on 3.0.x you may need to use the smbpasswd command
to export / import to the TDB  (trivial data base) format.

With the old primary domain server running you should join the new
machine to the domain as a member server.  (net join.)   The localsid on
all dc's should match the domainsid.     You can probably then make the
new machine a DC by changing the smb.conf to allow domain logons and by
changing the localsid to be the domain sid.    Verify that they user
accounts are the same on each DC with "pdbedit -Lv."  You may find that
some accounts did not export properly.

Also make sure that each domain controller has the same group mappings
(net rpc groupmap list ?)   From 3.0. to 3.4 or later you may find you
need to explicitly some of the well known groups. You may also need to
create an explicit  nobody user in linux (and specify     guest account
= nobody in smb.conf.)

Search for earlier post by me that cover DC migration and 3.0x to 3.4.
upgrades.