[Samba] Removed params 'force security mode' etc. What to use instead?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Thu Jul 11 17:39:15 MDT 2013

On 05/07/13 16:10, Brian H. Nelson wrote:
> On 7/3/2013 4:54 PM, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
>> My guess is this is related to the Unix extensions. Basically certain
>> versions of OS X; I can't remember which ones but 10.5 sticks in my
>> mind but that might be related to symbolic links and it was 10.6 that
>> was the problem, notice the file server does Unix extensions and then
>> decides to go behind the Samba servers back and fiddle with the
>> permissions.
>
> Indeed. Unfortunately (in this case) we had already disabled unix
> extensions a while back when 10.6.8/10.7 came out and we started seeing
> similar permission issues. I'm surprized that "force security mode"
> wouldn't work. That actually sounds like a bug if that's the case. I
> don't believe I ever actually tested it myself but we did pin that as
> another possible solution at that time.

Hum, if Unix extensions are off, then I would try either putting some
default POSIX ACL's on the folders or better still make sure the file
system is mounted with extended attributes and use the acl_xattr module
to do Windows ACL's and see if you cannot fix it that way.

> This seems to be a different but similar issue on some new machines with
> 10.8. I'm not yet sure if it's an OS issue or a application issue. So
> far, I've only seen it when a user 'packages' a project from Adobe
> InDesign. Many of the extra files in the 'package' (just a folder, not
> an archive or anything) end up without group permissions which is a big
> issue for them.

My suggestion is to turn the debug level right up on your test setup and
then trawl through it till you see exactly what is going on. It's time
consuming but it was how I tracked down the Unix extension issue on
Mac's issue and a similar wacky issue related to Office 2007/2010 and
mapping of DOS attributes.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.