[Samba] file server or member server?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Jul 1 12:56:37 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 14:35 -0400, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> I don't think it necessarily makes it a member a member server BUT if it
> isn't a member server it is going to be pretty useless for serving profiles.

Ok, so if a samba 4 box can serve profiles, then it is called a member
server, whether that be the DC or a separate 'file server'???

> I have not worked with Samba4 myself-  I have worked with Samba 3 (and
> Windows 200x AD , and NT4)  so you may want to review the samba 4
> specific docn fir basic config.  In samba 3 a quick review of the
> smb.conf file (or the output of "testparm -v"  will reveal the type of
> setup.
>

> Did you inherit these machines from someone else?

Yes. We take stand alone machines and network them by adding a DC and
what we call a file server. What I'd like to know is why some guys here
call what seems to be what we call a file server, a member server. I
feel we're missing out on something.