[Samba] internal DNS: ndr_push_error(6): Invalid...Unexpected blob length is too large

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Thu Jan 31 20:35:20 MST 2013

I sent a question about this earlier, but I see it went to the technical
list instead of this one.  Apologies for that, must have been my
auto-complete thinking for me...

The environment is a samba AD DC using internal dns, which is configured
to forward requests to a bind server elsewhere on the LAN.  I am
receiving the following error from certain domain names when I run dig
-t any against them:

2013-01-31 16:15:08.958400500 ndr_push_error(6): Invalid...Unexpected
blob length is too large
2013-01-31 16:15:08.958418500 Failed to push packet: Length Error!

The apparent common denominator is long records.  For many domains, such
as isc.org, it is the DNSKEY, in another case I found an extremely long
SOA record.

Is there a way to work around this without moving DNS to bind?

--
Computerisms
Bob Miller