[Samba] gid collision with non-existing group

Wed Jan 30 14:11:08 MST 2013

Dear all

I've come across quite a strange behaviour I have not been able to debug.

The setup is Samba 3.6.3 on Ubuntu 12.04.01 LTS as domain member of a
Win2008R2 DC. User Auth is via Kerberos.

The windows group 'domain members' has GID 513 in the windows world and is
mapped on my Ubuntu Box to 100513. However, unfortunatley another group
has the same GID. The group is called PYTHON\none, while PYTHON is the
hostname.

Running wbinfo -g or getent group or the net commands do not reveal any
group called PYTHON\none. However, I see this group when I list the user
homes (ls -la). Obviously, it's due to the GID collision.

Can anybody tell me where that group PYTHON\none is coming from, what it
is and how to get rid of it?

Thanks
Philipp