[Samba] Creating users via Perl Net::LDAP

Pablo T. Virgo pvirgo at solutionsforprogress.com
Mon Jan 28 12:49:55 MST 2013

Hey there folks,

I put together a little Perl script that makes an LDAP connection to a Samba4 server and creates the cn=username,cn=users,... part of a user account.

It appears that this is not sufficient to get a fully functioning Active Directory type log-in; from the howto I can deduce that my effort is missing a sidMap, and there might be a good deal more to creating full AD users and groups than the simple LDAP entry as I had hoped.

1. Is it reasonable to think that one could create a full AD user / group in Samba 4 using an LDAP type interface?

2. If so, aside from attempting to read the code (I'm not currently fluent in Python), where would I find documentation on what data needs to be generated?  Sorry if my google and Really-Fine-Manual glasses have failed.

Before someone points out my obvious mistake of reinventing the wheel, the short version is that I'm hoping to manage users for a custom environment that needs to sync a bunch of weird parts, and was hoping to write something that could manage them all via APIs and network interfaces rather than just writing a bash wrapper that would only work on a master server.

Thanks for your help!

--
Pablo Virgo
System Administrator