[Samba] Role of "password server" statement

John Center john.center at villanova.edu
Thu Jan 17 07:25:18 MST 2013

Hi,

Using Samba 3.6.3 on Ubuntu 12.04.  I'm trying to understand how the
"password server" statement works with winbind.  I thought if you don't
use the default "*" value, but instead created a list of DCs, it would
only use a DC from that list.  But, we have seen winbind connect to a DC
that is not listed in the password server statement, but is listed in DNS:

root at as1:~# host -t srv _ldap._tcp.vuad.villanova.edu
_ldap._tcp.vuad.villanova.edu has SRV record 0 100 389
ken-vuaddc2.vuad.villanova.edu.
_ldap._tcp.vuad.villanova.edu has SRV record 0 100 389
MEN-VUADDC4.vuad.villanova.edu.
_ldap._tcp.vuad.villanova.edu has SRV record 0 100 389
MEN-VUADDC5.vuad.villanova.edu.
_ldap._tcp.vuad.villanova.edu has SRV record 0 100 389
KEN-VUADDC1.vuad.villanova.edu.
_ldap._tcp.vuad.villanova.edu has SRV record 0 100 389
men-vuaddc1.vuad.villanova.edu.

We created an smb.conf that had the following DCs listed:

password server = ken-vuaddc1.villanova.edu men-vuaddc4.villanova.edu
men-vuaddc1.villanova.edu men-vuaddc5.villanova.edu

But, at one point, winbindd had a connection to
ken-vuaddc2.vuad.villanova.edu.  We specifically did not want to connect
to this DC because of the load on it.  Why would this occur?  Is there
any way to control this without changing the priority or weight on the
SRV record?

Thanks.

	-John

--