[Samba] How do I allow domain users to add printers which are shared from other servers & desktops without having to give everyone domain admin privileges??

Trent Murray trent.murray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 02:16:13 MST 2013

Hi all,

In Sum My Question is:

How do I allow domain users to add printers which are shared from other
servers & desktops without having to give everyone domain admin privileges??

*** BACKGROUND ***

1. I have set up SAMBA 3.6.3 as a domain controller with roaming profiles
on an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server.

2. Users can login, roam the office and have proper access to shares,
however they can not change their wallpaper or most importantly CANNOT add
printers which are shared by two other  (non-linux/samba) machines.

3. When users try to connect / install printers which are shared from
other machines such as the office 2008 server (server2) they receive a
message stating that they do not have permission to install the printer.

4.  I did have this  this working okay on the old SAMBA server before it
crashed but i cant remember what the hell  I did to allow users to be able
to install printers.  :P

5.  The only way I can now allow local users to add printers now is to add
them to the Domain Admin group by:

# net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=domadms rid=512  type=d

...but of course this comes with its own problems.  Now all users have
access to every share and can there is no security.

So my question again is:  How do configure SAMBA to allow windows domain
users  to add printers which are shared from other servers & desktops
without having to give everyone domain admin privileges?

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Cheers

Trent