[Samba] Samba 3 master browser on two networks plus WINS

Gala Dragos gala_dragos at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 02:01:00 MST 2013

I'm banging my head against the wall here with a problem that I have.

I have one Samba 3 server on a linux box with 2 ethernet interfaces, each given a different subnet. The same box does dhcp leases on both networks, with wins option pointing to this server.

Firewall was configured to allow the best unobtrusive communication between the two subnets, I can ping between the subnets and receive response, I can also access some other services, like http, from one subnet to the other.

I have setup on this server a common Public share, which works.

Now I'm trying to get the Samba PC from subnet 1 to see the Samba PC from subnet 2 and viceversa, but to no avail. On subnet 1 I can see access the server via it's NetBIOS name, but on subnet 2 I can only see the server and access it via it's IP. No other Samba PC's can be seen across the subnets! All pc's have the same workgroup.

What to enable in configuration in order to be able to do cross subnet browsing with samba ?

Thanks.