[Samba] Cross-subnet browsing with LMBs + remote browse sync + samba4WINS

vagy vagy at freemail.gr
Mon Feb 25 14:20:14 MST 2013

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 09:06:50 +0200, Daniel Müller
<mueller at tropenklinik.de> wrote:

> NO, you do not need remote browse sync if you have samba4wins working.
> And you need only following to make it work in your LMB smb.conf
> wins server = your.samba4wins.host
> If your smaba4wins is on the same host as your LMB, put this is your
> samba4wins
> Samba4wins.conf:
> bind interfaces only=yes
> interfaces=your.samba4wins.ip (suggestion use a virt ip not used by
> samba)
> ntpd:disable_broadcast=yes
> wins server=your.samba4wins.ip
>
> In your windows clients network configuration  set wins1 your first
> samba4wins and wins2 the second samba4wins.

> EDV Daniel Müller
>
> Leitung EDV
> Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
> Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
> 72076 Tübingen
>
> Tel.: 07071/206-463, Fax: 07071/206-499
> eMail: mueller at tropenklinik.de
> Internet: www.tropenklinik.de

Hi Daniel,

do you mean that since there is gonna
be a samba4WINS in each subnet, the browse lists
   from each subnet will get exchanged
between the two samba4WINS, so there is no need
for the two LMBs (my 4. point) to "remote browse sync"
between them? I had the impression that WINS servers
just map NETBIOS names to IP addresses and that WINS
clients just resolve names through them, at least according to
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775524(v=ws.10).aspx ,
there is no mention there about the browse lists.
Can you please elaborate?

Cheers,
- vagy