[Samba] Cross-subnet browsing with LMBs + remote browse sync + samba4WINS

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Mon Feb 25 08:40:32 MST 2013

From: vagy <vagy at freemail.gr>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:28:03 +0200

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:36:56 +0200, TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> From: vagy <vagy at freemail.gr>
>> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:34:37 +0200
>>
>>> i am about to implement cross subnet browsing/sharing
>>> and I was wondering if the following configuration
>>> would do it, so i would like your opinion:
>>>
>>> 1. There are two subnets separated by a simple router (no firewalls)
>>>
>>> 2. Each subnet will have a mixture of Win7/WinXP and Linux hosts.
>>>
>>> 3. Each subnet will have its own Samba3 LMB (but not DMB)
>>> and its own samba4WINS server. Each client host in each subnet
>>> will be DHCP configured with their respective WINS server.
>>> The LMB will also be configured to use the samba4WINS server.
>>>
>>> 4. The two samba3 LMB servers will "remote browse sync" with each other.
>>> Thats how the browse lists will be exchanged.
>>>
>>> 5. The two samba4WINS servers will replicate with each other.
>>> Thats how the host names will be exchanged.
>>>
>>> Do you think that will turn out to be a working configuration?
>>
>> As far as I examined, "remote browse sync" did not work as I expected.
>> Sample smb.conf that I examined the behavior is:
>>
>> -----
>> [global]
>>   workgroup = SAMBAxx
>>   domain master = yes
>>   wins support = yes
>>   remote browse sync = x.x.x.x
>> -----
>>
>> Samba has to be WINS server and DMB.
>
> I don't have much experience with these settings myself.
> Nevertheless, i think "domain master = yes" and "remote browse sync"
> shouldn't be used together.

The smb.conf above is the only one which works well as far as I examined.
"domain master = yes" is needed because "remote browse sync = yes" uses
master browser announcement to search another peer.

Of course, I think this implementation is a bit curious...

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com> / @damemonyo
                   facebook.com/takahashi.motonobu